Friday, November 25, 2011

A Psychologist's Thought Book: Relationships #7


                                                # 7
                                               
I hate when I can’t find anyone else to blame.

Recognizing one’s own responsibility in any failure is quite a delicate task.  There are two extremes that have to be avoided: Blaming others for things that are your fault and blaming your self too much for things that are out of your control. In psychology, there are disorders of blame, namely the personality disorders, in which the person seems unable to take responsibility for ones’ actions.  This is detrimental to good health because one cannot learn from one’s mistakes and if others are deemed responsible for my bad circumstances.  It also makes sense that if I see others responsible for the problem making that it makes sense that only others can fix my problems. So blaming others often leads to passivity. On the other side, over-blaming one’s self seems to be a key ingredient in mood disorders like depression. If everything that goes wrong is somehow linked to me then I’m going to have a hard time appreciating myself and believing that I have any redeemable qualities.  One needs to steer in between these extremes and that requires understanding your humanness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment